List Of Top 10 Oldest Senior High Schools In Ghana
The current education system in Ghana has made it necessary for a child to have a compulsory secondary education after completing junior high school.
Ghana inherited its education from her colonial masters who earlier started the castle school system for their mix-blood or molt children and later in the years converted it into public schools for all.
Most of them ( the Europeans) who came including the missionaries founded schools that bear their names or the names of prominent persons of the times perhaps the government in those days which had served well the Gold coasters and still serving our academic plight.
List Of Top 10 oldest senior high schools in Ghana
The Mfantsipim school is an all-boys boarding secondary school in Cape Coast, Ghana, established by the Methodist Church in 1876 to foster intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth on the then Gold Coast. Its founding name was Wesleyan High School and the first headmaster was James Picot, a French scholar, who was only 18 years old at his appointment.
Mfantsipim is nicknamed “The School” by its old boys for the fact that several other schools in Ghana such as Prempeh College and Ghana National College were born out of it, as these schools were started with students from Mfantsipim school.
GHANA SEC. TECH. SHS
The Ghana Secondary Technical School is a science and technology-oriented high school located in Takoradi on the west coast of Ghana. It is the third oldest high school in Ghana – the oldest ‘non-missionary’ high school. The School was founded on the 9th of August 1909 in Accra as Accra Technical School and later changed to Government Technical School. It moved to its current site in Takoradi in 1939. In 1953, the name was changed to Government Secondary Technical School, and in 1970, it was given its current name. Former students of the school are known as Giants, and students in the school are called Tuscans.
Adisadel College, popularly known as “DISCO, is an Anglican boys’ boarding school in Cape Coast, Ghana founded on o January 1910. The school has Vel Primus Vel Cum Primis (Either the first or with the first) as its motto.
ACCRA HIGH SCHOOL
Accra High School was founded by the late Rev. James Thomas Roberts on 17 August 1923. The school was located at beach avenue in Aayalolo, a suburb of Accra the capital of Ghana. It was initially started as a boys’ school having Redimentes Opportunitatem (Make Hay while the sun shines) as its motto with its old student named Ahiscosa.
O’REILLY SNR. HIGH SCHOOL
The school was established in August 1925 by a Sierra Leonean Anglican priest Rev. Ezekiel Festus O’Reilly. O’Reilly Senior High School is the fifth oldest senior high school in Ghana and the second oldest in the Greater Accra Region behind Accra High School, Adisadel College, Ghana Sec. Tech. and Mfantsipim School. The name of school was first known as O’Reilly Educational Institute. The school was officially declared open by the Hon. Dowuona – Hammond, the then Minister of Education. The first location of the school was at Korle Wokon (North of Ussher Town) a suburb of Accra.
The school was founded in 1927 as the country’s first government co-educational boarding institution located in Achimota in the Greater Accra region of Ghana. Governor Gordon Guggisberg, a colonial administrator in the country, Reverend A. G. Frazer, the school’s first principal, and Dr. Emman James Kwegyir Aggrey, a Gold Coaster, were the school’s founding fathers.
KROBO GIRLS SHS
The School was founded in March 1927 by Scottish Missionaries. Krobo Girls’ Senior High School was founded by a female Scottish Missionary in March 1927, as a Middle School for girls. A two-year teacher training college for women was added to the girl’s school in 1944 on an experimental basis under the accelerated plan of the government. The school has ‘Better for the highest’ as its motto.
ST. AUGUSTINE’S COLLEGE
St. Augustine’s College is an all-male boarding academic institution in Cape Coast, Ghana. The school started at Amisano, a village near Elmina, in 1930. As a Roman Catholic institution was established to serve as a training college and seminary. The school was named after St. Augustine of Hippo(354 – 430 AD). The motto of the college is Omnia Vincit Labor, meaning “Perseverance conquers All”.
WESLEY GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL
Wesley Girls’ High School (WGHS) is a second-cycle institution for girls in Cape Coast in the Central region of Ghana. It was founded in 1936 by Harriet Wrigley, the wife of a Methodist minister. The school is named after the founder of Methodism, Rev.John Wesley.
Accra Academy is one of the foremost secondary educational institutions in Ghana founded in 1931. It is located at Bubuashie near Kaneshie in the Greater Accra Region. It was the first private academy to be established on the Gold Coast which gained the status of a Government-Assisted School in 1950. The school has its motto Esse Quam Videri meaning “To be, rather than to seem.”